Women’s skills program 2018
Women sailors, both MYC member and non-members, are invited to participate in the 2018 Women’s Skill Development Program.
The program is for women of all ages who have sailed before and want to improve their keelboat skills as crew and/or as helms.
Danielle Kennedy (twice Canadian Laser Radial representative) and Stuart Kennedy (veteran of 3 Sydney to Hobart races and with an extensive keelboat racing history) will be the program mentors. They will be on board the club’s training boats, the Elliott 6s, mentoring women sailors to help them further develop their sailing skills and confidence, and for some, helping them move from a crew role into a leadership/helm role.
This is not learn to sail, it’s not instruction, it’s skill mentoring in a fun and supportive environment.
To register for one of the mentor clinics, please click here.
- We will be on the Elliott 6s on the river, in front of The Wharf.
- With up to 3 sailors per boat
- The sessions will run from 9am-12noon and may include classroom coaching as well as on the water sailing.
- There is a charge of $20- per lesson
- Skills worked on will include: rigging and packing up, noticing broken damage parts and what to do, sail set-up, wind strategy, weather reports (found where and what they basically mean), basic race tactics, basic spinnaker skills – set-up elements of sheet / brace / pole / tweaker, and then some trim.
- Ladies wishing to helm will need to be an MYC member for insurance purposes.
- There will be opportunity to apply your skills learnt with racing opportunities both locally and further afield.
- Welcome to join as few or as many training sessions as you are able to.
- Please let us know if you will be coming so we can ensure we have enough boats ready for everyone
- Just bring a drink, something to eat (if required), hat, sunscreen, not slip/ non marking closed in footware.
- Also bring sailing gloves & life jackets if you have your own- if not- don’t worry, we have some we can lend you at no charge.
All participants will be encouraged to join one of the club’s keelboats on a Wednesday or Sunday afternoon for club races to sail off Mooloolaba using their developed skills and confidence. It’s beautiful out there!
Dates are –
- February 10th
- March 10th
- March 24th
- April 14th
- April 28th
- May 12th
- June 2nd
If you have questions on any of this information, please call Suzanne on 0416 331 181 or Kerry on 0409 269 964.