Women’s program 2017 invitation
Women sailors, both MYC member and non-members, are invited to participate in the 2017 Women’s Skill Development Program.
The program is for women who have sailed before and want to improve their keelboat skills as crew and/or as helms.
Mitch Kennedy (Australian Sailing Squad member and U21 World Laser Champion) and Madi Kennedy will be the program mentors. They will be on board the club’s training boats, the Elliott 6s, mentoring women sailors to help them develop further their sailing skills and confidence, and for some, helping them move from a crew role into a leadership/helm role.
This is not learn to sail, it’s not instruction, it’s skill mentoring in a supportive environment.
To register for one of the mentor clinics, please click here.
- We will be on the Elliott 6s on the river, in front of The Wharf.
- Each group will be between four and six sailors (no more than 3 sailors per boat).
- They will work together for four sessions.
- There is no certificate at the end, just achievement and new sailing friendships.
- Note – Level 1 clinics will be about rigging and packing up, noticing broken damage parts and what to do, sail set-up, wind strategy, weather reports found where and what they basically mean, basic race tactics, basic spinnaker skills – set-up elements of sheet / brace / pole / tweaker, and then some trim.
- Note – Level 2 clinics are for those sailors wanting to gain confidence and skills in helming and boat leadership roles. We encourage those wanting to do Level 2 to complete the Level 1 sessions firstly.
All participants will be encouraged to join one of the club’s keelboats to get out sailing using their developed skills and confidence
Dates are –
If you have questions on any of this information, please call the MYC office on 0413 227013.